Rule #1: Stand up straight with your shoulders back
In his book “12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos,” Jordan Peterson introduces his first rule as “Stand up straight with your shoulders back.” This rule is more than just a physical posture; it’s a mindset of taking responsibility, signaling confidence and capability, and a willingness to face the challenges of life.
The posture of our body can have a profound impact on our mental and emotional well-being. By assuming a powerful and confident posture, we can change the way we think and feel. Peterson argues that when we stand up straight with our shoulders back, we signal to others that we are confident and capable individuals. This can lead to others treating us differently and respecting us more.
But how can we put this rule into practice? Here are some actionable steps to help you stand up straight with your shoulders back:
Jordan Peterson’s Actionable Steps:
- Start by becoming aware of your posture. Take a moment to check in with yourself and notice how you are standing or sitting. Are your shoulders slumped forward? Is your head tilted down?
- Make a conscious effort to correct your posture. Imagine a string pulling you up from the crown of your head, elongating your spine, and pulling your shoulders back.
- Practice good posture throughout the day. Set reminders on your phone or place a sticky note on your computer to remind you to check your posture.
- Incorporate stretching and strengthening exercises into your daily routine. Yoga, Pilates, and other forms of exercise can help improve your posture and make it easier to maintain a straight spine and open shoulders.
- Make posture a habit. The more you practice good posture, the more natural it will become.
By following these steps, you can begin to adopt a posture of power and take control of your life. Stand up straight with your shoulders back, and see how it changes the way you think and feel. Remember, good posture is not just a physical thing but it’s also a mindset of taking responsibility, signaling confidence and capability, and a willingness to face the challenges of life.
Buy 12 Rules for Life NOW to learn more about taking charge and improving your life!